It’s no secret that this year I made a big move, and it has been a major part of my year & content so far. Now my move is certainly not classed as long distance for most people, but for my little country self it’s been a big move! This is actually my second big move in the last 6 years, so I thought I’d put together a little list of my tips if you are getting ready to move yourself!
- Plan plan plan… I’m always one to make a plan no matter what, I literally have lists everywhere! Moving is something I like to plan as much as I can, from what I need to pack in what bag to what snacks I need for the road trip. Make lists until they come out of your ears and make sure to follow them as much as you can. There’s nothing worse than getting into your new flat and realising you left something important 200 miles away!
- Moving can be very stressful, especially if you’re moving to another county/country so it’s very important not to overwhelm yourself. I personally try and set time aside over weeks (months if I have the time) to get things together rather than spending 2 days getting stressed and trying to shove things in suitcases! Don’t be afraid to ask for help from friends & family and make sure to keep yourself motivated (music and tea helps me!).
- Perseverance is key. I lost track of the amount of times I almost gave up packing because I was bored, but I just turned my music up a little louder and had a bit of a dance while folding clothes! If you don’t persevere and get a little done on the day’s you’ve given yourself you’ll end up frantically packing and getting stressed (if you haven’t guessed this is the thing you want to avoid the most!).
- When you’re packing your life into boxes its very easy to look and think ‘wow, well I can leave this here, and this…’ but it’s important not to leave out the ‘silly’ things. I make sure to always bring the things that make me feel safe and at home, so I never leave behind photos, decorative accessories and of course my little teddy. Sure it might seem to make sense at the time to leave this out so you can fit more clothes in the box, but after a little while you’ll miss them! Make sure to take these kinds of things with you and it will help in the long run.
- And most of all, enjoy it! Yes moving can be stressful and in some cases a little sad, but its such an exciting thing. Each time I have moved I’ve focused on the good things that will come out of it, and it makes me so excited for the day. Make the most of the experience and look forward on what is to come.
Okay so maybe 5 tips isn’t life changing, but I hope they have helped! As I’ve said, my moves are tiny compared to other people, but as these are my big moves this is what I do to help myself through the process.