I seem to have caught the baking bug again recently, and what better excuse to make some sweet treats than Halloween?! I decided to make some pain biscuits with pumpkin faces on, inspired by Zoe Sugg’s Nala birthday biscuits!
I used a recipie from my Cookie Jar book for Simple Cookies, which they really were!
- 175g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 115g softened, unsalted butter (I used stork baking margarine and it worked perfectly)
- 50g caster sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°c
- Sift the flour and nutmeg into a bowl. Add the butter and rub it in until it resembles breadcrumbs (you can also add this into an electric mixer which will also give you a breadcrumb texture)
- Add the sugar into the breadcrumb like dough and knead it all together until it forms a stiff dough
- Flour your surface and roll out the dough until it is around 5mm thick
- Using a cookie cutter of any shape, cut out your cookies. Roll out any unused dough and continue cutting until it is all used up. Place your cookies on a large, non stick baking sheet
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8-10 minutes, or until pale golden. Transfer onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely
For the Icing
You will need icing sugar, water and food colouring. I didn’t measure out any of my items (rubbish, I know!) but basically mix until you have a thick, but still runny consistency as you don’t want it to run off, but still want it to flood inside the border. Remember that food colouring is a liquid, so make your desired colour and then readjust your consistency.
I love how these turned out, they’re super cute and festive whilst also tasting really nice! The icing makes the biscuit quite soft, so try overbake slightly if you like a harder biscuit. I loved these and will definitely be making them again for other seasons!